Marine, Automotive, Rail, Aerospace and Defence
OMC’s optical fibre links find many applications in these sectors, including:
- Optically isolated data links: Our products help protect sensitive electronics from harmful electrical spikes, and to transmit control signals free from interference.
- Fast data links: Our optical links transmit signals at the speed of light, allowing data to be exchanged between critical systems at near instantaneous speeds.
- Data security: Optical data links are one of the most secure ways to transmit data from A to B. A well designed fibre optic system is almost impossible to compromise without the user being able to instantly detect the breach. Unlike traditional copper cable, which can easily be tampered with, to modify an optical fibre system requires specialist equipment and skills, thereby greatly reducing the likelihood of tampering by malicious parties.
- Remote sensing: Optical fibres can be used in sensing applications to detect objects, liquid levels, light levels, temperatures, etc., where the electrical components must be located remotely from the sensing point, for example, where explosives, extreme temperatures or harmful environments are involved.
Present-day examples of where OMC fibre systems are in use for the above applications include:
- Braking systems on trains and mass-transit railways
- Military radar systems
- Fighter aircraft engines
- Destructive automotive crash testing
- Engine monitoring systems
The following advantages of OMC’s LED backlights lead them to be heavily used in the above sectors:
- They provide a clean, bright, clear display to ensure man-machine interfaces remain intact.
- Our backlights are robust and have extremely long life-expectancies.
- Solid state lighting technology is electromagnetically benign, so generates far less radio interference than fluorescent or electroluminescent technologies which require noisy inverters.
As a result, our backlights are used within the following applications in the above sectors:
- Displays for radar systems
- Automotive dashboard displays
- Taxi meters
- Aircraft instrumentation
OMC’s semiconductor lighting solutions are ideal for use in the following applications:
- Military vehicle intelligent lighting
- Exterior boat signage
- Exit signage in aircraft
- Interior lighting for yachts and boats, caravans and campervans
- Interior lighting for buses and trains.
Benefits to these sectors include:
- Very low power usage which helps conserve fuel and battery reserves
- Low voltage (12V or 24V) which is ideal for being powered from battery systems
- High brightness and instant switch-on
- Operate well in low temperature environments
- Rugged, robust and long-life
- Minimal generated heat
- Lifetime is unaffected by repeated on/off cycles.