Research, Instrument- ation and Medical Industries
OMC’s optical fibre links find many applications in the above sectors, including:
• Optically isolated data links: Our products help protect sensitive electronics from harmful electrical spikes, and to transmit control signals free from interference.
• Fast data links: Our optical links transmit signals at the speed of light, allowing data to be exchanged between critical systems at near instantaneous speeds.
• Data security: Optical data links are one of the most secure ways to transmit data from A to B. A well designed fibre optic system is almost impossible to compromise without the user being able to instantly detect the breach. Unlike traditional copper cable, which can easily be tampered with, to modify an optical fibre system requires specialist equipment and skills, thereby greatly reducing the likelihood of tampering by malicious parties.
• Remote sensing: Optical fibres can be used in sensing applications to detect objects, liquid levels, light levels, temperatures, etc., where the electrical components must be located remotely from the sensing point, for example, where explosives, extreme temperatures or harmful environments are involved.
• Resilience to harsh environments: Optical fibre can be used in environments where copper cable cannot, such as in high magnetic fields.
Present-day examples of where OMC fibre systems are used for the above applications include:
• Neutrino detection for particle physics research
• Data transfer in Magnetic Resonance Imagine (MRI) scanners
• Detection and sensing in explosion research systems
• Data transfer in hospital bedside monitoring equipment
The following advantages of OMC’s LED backlights lead them to be heavily used in the above sectors:
• They provide a clean, bright, clear display to ensure man-machine interfaces remain intact.
• Our backlights are robust and have extremely long life-expectancies.
• Solid state lighting technology is electromagnetically benign, so generates far less radio interference than fluorescent or electroluminescent technologies which require noisy inverters.
As a result, our backlights are used within the following applications in the above sectors:
• Bedside monitoring system displays
• Life support system displays
• Uniform light source for imaging applications
• Measurement instrument displays
OMC’s semiconductor lighting components are used in the following present-day applications:
• Light sources in microscopes
• Wavelength-specific light sources for research
• Horticulture and photosynthesis research
• Activation of photo-sensitive drug treatments
Benefits to these sectors include:
• Ability to produce specific wavelengths at defined powers
• Very high brightness, single point light sources
• Easily controllable
• Operate well in low temperature environments
• Rugged, robust and long-life
• Minimal generated heat